Cushion Making....

 I had a lovely crafty day last week, sewing up some cushions. I admit tha,t a few have been sitting in the cushion box for some weeks 'waiting' patiently for their final filling.
 This is a really large cushion made in log-cabin style patchwork and quilting.
It is a comission from a local lady who liked my work but wanted something BIGGER!
I tend to make smaller pieces as they sell better at Craft Fairs and are easier to ship internationally, so it was a real pleasure to go bigger with this cushion.
 I love adding all the details to my pieces. Appliqued trims and patches, the odd button, ribbon tags. I think this is what makes my work 'me' (however often we 'artists/ designers' are replicated.....)
 I must confess at buying these handmade crocheted flowers as an embellishment for my pieces. I have no time or talents for this. I love the detail they add and how a flat faced cushion becomes touchable / tactile. Most senses are stimualated in these designs
Tactile exteriors coupled with the fact that these cushions are packed with:
LAVENDER (for relaxation)
CHAMOMILE (for sweet dreams)
DRIED HOPS (for restful sleep)
 I just feel i can never photograph these to their true potential. Maybe because internet selling relies on just one sense - you can't sniff these or hold them in your hand, like you can at a Craft Fair or in a shop.
 They are primarily made to put on your bed (hence the herbal stuffing)
but they are equally at home on a dining chair or a sofa.
And, of course, choosing between all the delicious fabrics available is probably my favourite task.
Linens and unbleached cottons V bright crisp quilting cottons?
There is room for a little of everything x

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Love your cushions! Great fabric choices and so colourful! No wonder they sell well at craft fairs! :) x

Kate said...

Love the cushions, especially the log cabin. I can't crochet so I tend to buy the flowers pre-made too, think they make a good addition to many pieces.

Kate said...

Love the cushions, especially the log cabin. I can't crochet so I tend to buy the flowers pre-made too, think they make a good addition to many pieces.

miz-bag said...

they are lovely x x

Unknown said...

These are gorgeous, I want one :-)

Cate said...

your cushions look pretty awesome in your photographs already, colourful and fun, so don't worry!

Cate, x

Vintage Tea Time said...

Those cushions are all really great - lovely, unusual touches - and they look very tactile.
I especially like the scented 'bolster' ones - v cute!

wendy said...

I love the sound of those scented cushions! do you sell them in your shop? If so how much are they? Or will you have some at the next MAKE show?

LPFish said...

I will have a load (i hope) for the next MaKe xx thanks for asking.
I might put 1 or 2 in the online shop *as yet undecided*

Highland Monkey's said...

That's one lovely large cushion.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails